Calumet Area Aging Network (CAAN)
The mission of the Calumet Area Aging Network is to improve the quality of life for seniors and their support systems by developing and sharing information through education, events and networking in the Calumet County Area. The group consists of persons in the community, both professionals and nonprofessional who have a passion for improving the quality of life for seniors.
The group meets the last Thursday of each month from 8:00 to 9:30 am at Fox Valley Technical College, 1200 East Chestnut St., Chilton, WI
Educational presentations are planned for every other month.
2018 Presentation Schedule:
- January 26, Joann Dewhurst, ADRC Calumet County - "Aging Plan"
- February 22, Jackie Guyette - TMG IRIS
- March 29, Heather Flick - Mosiac Health - "Resources for Enhancing Alzheimer's Caregiver Health"
- May 31, Catherine Ellis, Calumet County Public Health Nurse - "Securing & Disposing of Medication"
- July 26 - Jolene Umentum - Legal Action of Wisconsin
- August 30 - Ellen Koski - Mosiac Health - "Advance Care Planning"
On alternate months, subcommittee members meet to discuss and plan community projects. All members of the Aging Network are encouraged to be involved in planning and implementing a project but it is not a requirement. Presentations and membership is open to all who are interested.
2018 Caregiver Resource Event
The Neighborhood Memory Café
Memory Cafés are for those experiencing early stage dementia, mild memory loss or cognitive impairment, and for family and friends of those affected. As developed in the United Kingdom and the Netherlands, Memory Cafés offer opportunities for socialization to persons with memory loss and their caregivers. Memory cafés consist of informal conversation, some kind of program (e.g., speaker, music, arts, games), and light refreshments. Information is available from professionals working with seniors who attend but do not lead the programs. The program is facilitated by a trained coordinator and volunteers plan and lead the programs, with input from attendees.
The 2018 schedule for the Neighborhood Memory Café is as follows:
- January - Dashing Thru the Snow
- February 8 - Cabin Fever
- March 8 - Luck of the Irish
- April 12 - Spring Fling
- May 10 - Marvelous Moms
- June 14 - Love is in the Air
- July 12 - Flags, Flags, Flags
- August 9 - Summertime Picnic
- September 13 - Garden Grazing
- October 11 - Apple a Day
- November 8 - Giving Thanks
- December 13 - Weather or Not
Meeting Time: 10:00am - 12:00pm
Place: Chilton Public Library, 221 Park St., Chilton
Call for Information - 920-849-4414
- January 16 - Ringing in the New Year
- March 20 - March Madness
- May 15 - Kentucky Derby
- July 17 - Great Circus Parade
- September 18 - Bee My Honey
- November 20 - Viva la Veterans
Meeting Time: 1:00 pm- 3:00 pm
The meeting place: The Arps Room, New Holstein Public Library, 2115 Washington St., New Holstein.
Call for information - 920-898-5165
- February 20 - Surviving Winter
- April 17 - Wild Flower
- June 19 - Go Fly a Kite
- August 21 - Beetles vs Beetles
- October 16 - Whooo's a Wise Guy
- December 18 - Cookie Daze
Meeting Time: 1:00 pm- 3:00 pm
The meeting place: Brillion Nature Center, W1135 Deer View Rd.,Brillion.
Call for information - 920-756-3591
If schools are closed, due to inclement weather, Cafe will be canceled.
MEMORY CAFE BROCHURE
Alzheimer's Education Series
Cycling Without Age is a program to help elderly citizens in our area get out into the community again by taking them on a bike ride!
Specially designed tricycles called “trishaws” are used to give elders rides. The trishaw is a tricycle with a seat on the front that incorporates special features to make it safe and comfortable for elderly people (a canopy, blanket and seat belts for the passengers) and a battery assist to make it easy to pedal. The cyclists, called pilots, are volunteers who have been trained to safely operate the vehicles.
Two trishaws have been purchased by the Atrium facilities in New Holstein and Chilton
and one trishaw has been purchased by Willowdale, all from funds raised through generous donations of area businesses and residents. Watch for them on the streets this spring!
We are still working on bringing the trishaws to Brillion area senior care facilties.
Our partners in this effort are the Calumet Area Aging Network, Willowdale, Zion Lutheran Church, Atriums of New Holstein and Chilton, and Brillion Housing Authority.
Minutes/Agendas from Monthly Meetings (
To view minutes from previous meetings, please click on link)